Quick Tips for Spelunky HD Players
Now that Spelunky HD has found a home on the PS3/Vita, I thought I’d give a few pointers for people who might not understand the “rogue-like lite” mentality of the game.
- Always carry something with you. Rocks, arrows, pots, even the damsels can save you from an enemy or disarm an arrow trap.
- Grab as much cash as you can, because you have about 3 minutes before an insta-kill ghost will come and kill you.
- Always try and save the damsel in the level. If you get her to the end, she’ll give you a kiss which restores 1 heart.
- Always look in the caves for the chest with the lock that needs to be opened with the key. This contains the Wadjet Eye and aside from letting you see gems in dirt, it’s also one step to the path of the City of Gold.
- Try planting bombs under a giant spider’s web for a sticky surprise.
- The City of Gold is real. You need to figure out how to get to it.
- Sacrificing dead bodies to Kali will grant you a kapala, which collects blood. Every 8 drops of blood you collect will net you an extra heart.
- The jetpack is OP. If you see it in a shop and you have enough money, buy it.
- If you don’t have enough money for the jetpack, plot how to steal it.
- The black market is real.
For those that are new to Spelunky, don’t worry. It can be frustrating at first as you die repeatedly, but as you progress further Tunnel Man will help you set up shortcuts so you don’t have to start at the beginning each time.
Have fun spelunking!